This might be my new go-to recipe for a quick and tasty dinner. This one comes curtesy of the January 2013 issue of Oxygen Magazine. I love the recipes in both Oxygen and Clean Eating Magazine and most of them are available online as well. Another great thing I just discovered is that if you are using My Fitness Pal to track your food, most of the Oxygen and Clean Eating recipes are already logged by other users, which means no work for you!
This recipe is not paleo, but it is gluten free if you need to avoid gluten. The recipe calls for quinoa and you can use any quinoa, but while I was shopping, I discovered this quinoa blend that I highly recommend (picture below). I think it gave the recipe a lot more flavor. Also, this recipe calls for fresh basil leaves, which I thought I had, but as I trudged outside in the rain to cut some from my basil plant I discovered that my mint has completely taken over and suffocated my basil plant. Anyone want to come over for Mojitos? Anyways, the recipe works fine without the basil if you don’t have any on hand.
Ready in 40 minutes/Makes 3 servings
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped (I used a whole small onion)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1/8 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach
1. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray and sauté onions over medium heat until translucent. Set aside in a bowl.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Sauté in olive oil in the same skillet, about 4 minutes per side, then remove and set aside.
3. Pour chicken broth into skillet along with uncooked quinoa, basil, garlic and cooked onions, and stir. Nestle the chicken breasts into the quinoa. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is fluffy and has absorbed all of the liquid.
4. Stir spinach into the mixture until it is wilted. Serve hot.
Calories: 397, Total Fats: 11g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 97mg, Sodium: 154 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 30g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 0g, Protein: 43g, Iron: 3.5 mg