- Hometown: Asheboro, NC
- Age: 30
- Occupation: Sr. Project Manager at CT Wilson Construction
- When did you first start CrossFitting?: While I did have a 2 month stint doing crossfit in Wilmington a few years ago, I started at Bull City in September 2016.
- What is your favorite movement? Favorite workout?: Handstand pushups and any workout with running or wall balls. The longer the run in the workout the better I typically do.
- What is your least favorite movement/workout?: Snatch and double unders. It takes me anywhere from 10 to 15 attempts and same number of 4 letter words to get 50 double unders.
- Tell us about your sports & fitness background.: I grew up playing ice hockey, baseball, tennis and soccer as a kid. When I got to college my fitness was limited to 12 ounce curls until I realized I couldn’t keep that lifestyle up forever. I picked up mountain biking to lose some weight and It didn’t take me long until I was on my way to compete in the 65 mile long Offroad Assault on Mt Mitchell endurance race. Done a little bit of running and home gym training for the past 3 years off and on
- How did you first get exposed to CrossFit?: I joined a crossfit box in wilmington about 4 years ago but injured my back at work and decided to give it up. I thoroughly enjoyed it and always wanted to get back into it. After a few debates with with wife, Ellen (an exercise science graduate from UNC) about the pros and cons of crossfit, we finally came to an agreement that I would give it another try for a couple of months. Last September, I rode up to BCCF on a Sunday afternoon and happened to run into Jack. He convinced me to show up the next morning for the 6 am class and I haven’t looked back since.
- What sort of changes have you seen in your body?: Lost 3 inches in my waist and am down about 15 lbs. I’m much stronger than I’ve ever been and continuing to gain muscle mass.
- What impact has CrossFit had on your life?: Very positive impact. Not only do I feel better and stronger afterevery workout but the community is a great group of people.
- What is your favorite Bull City CrossFit moment?: Hitting a clean PR by 20 lbs during the festivus games and winning my first CrossFit competition on home turf all in the same day…while my son, Carr and wife, Ellen (39 weeks and 6 days pregnant) cheered me on.
- What is your advice for people getting started?: Start off 2-3 times a week and understand your body is going to hurt like hell for the first few weeks. Continue to move on your off days by walking/jogging and stretching to keep from getting too sore. Commit to doing CF for 6 months and find a class schedule that works best with your personal schedule. If you look at the WOD the night before class and there is a skill you struggle with, don’t avoid it, but instead go to class and learn to improve it. The first 3 months of CrossFit is overcoming excuses. You will be too tired, too busy, too sore, too weak, and too frustrated to attend, but I would encourage you to still go to CF and get the most out of it. If you can overcome these excuses, you will stay around and be the next success story.
- What are your interests outside of CrossFit?: I enjoy spending time with my two sons. Carr (17 months) and Holton (newborn) are both changing so much I try to focus on spending as much time with them as I can. As for hobbies, I love to paddleboard, mountain bike, and ride motorcycles offroad. As the boys get older I hope to share these adventures with them. My wife and I flipped our first house and plan to flip a few more. She’s the dreamer and I’m just the labor to get it done.