- Hometown: Durham
- Age: 47
- Occupation: writer
- When did you first start CrossFitting?: January 2015
- What is your favorite movement? Favorite workout?: Cleans: they make me feel strong, and they are very, very cool. And Endurance class–which I never thought I’d try and now I hate to miss.
- What is your least favorite movement/workout?: Thrusters: thrusters are death, and everyone knows it.
- Tell us about your sports & fitness background.: I was the last one chosen for your kickball team in grade-school gym class. I was the girl, in that volleyball unit in 10th grade phys ed, who hit the volleyball twice in a row because she thought the object was to keep it from hitting the ground. I was the one who got beaned in the face with a soccer ball during the game because I stood up and faced the game (there’s a game?) at the wrong moment. Remember me?
- How did you first get exposed to CrossFit?: My husband Bill started in June of 2014 and kept telling me I should try it. He knew I liked intense workouts (P-90x and Insanity; the occasional sprint triathlon), and persisted in encouraging me until I gave it a try. I was terrified of barbells, but Jack didn’t treat me like my being in a CrossFit gym was a joke. He taught me all the skills as though I could potentially be an athlete. I found CrossFit consistently challenging, bracing, and somehow (scaled) do-able. What a surprise!
- What sort of changes have you seen in your body?: I am stronger than I’ve ever been in my life, and I’m getting stronger. I am way more muscular than I’ve ever been, and I’m faster, too. I can eat anything I want and never have to think bout it. I never thought I’d be getting into better shape as I moved through my forties, but what do you know? Here we are!
- What impact has CrossFit had on your life?: CrossFit has given me new and wonderful friends. It has taught me to stay ith my discomfort to complete workouts. It’s shown me that I’m way more capable of athleticism than I had ever imagined. And it’s made me incredibly confident physically: here’s lots left for me to learn, but I’m beginning to think I CAN learn and accomplish these things. I never want to not CrossFit. Never.
- What is your favorite Bull City CrossFit moment?: When Tara taught me how to climb a rope. Of course I had never even tried a rope-climb in gym class, but then Tara told me how to hold the rope between my feet. I didn’t think I’d get very high, but I gave it a try, and the next thing I knew, I was halfway up the gym. I had no idea I was strong enough. I had no idea I could do it. I amazed myself. Oh, and also the day that Jack called me an athlete. See that bit (above)about my sports background. And then Jack called me anathlete! I could have cried. Seriously. Sometimes Itear up just thinking about it. Okay, no. I don’t tear up, but I grin like a fool when I remember it. I’m grinning now.
- What is your advice for people getting started?: Don’t be intimidated. Throwing heavy things over your head makes you nervous, does it? Join the club. You can do All The Things–just scale them. You’ll learn. It is so worth the effort.
- What are your interests outside of CrossFit?: Bill Stevenson. My family and friends. Writing and reading excellent writing. Travel. Jesus.