- Hometown: Durham
- Age: 50
- Occupation: Computer Guy
- When did you first start CrossFitting?: 2013 (bootcamp started it all)
- What is your favorite movement? Favorite workout?: I really dig lifting heavy – back/front squats and deads.
- What is your least favorite movement/workout?: As it was in the beginning it is and ever shall be… burpees.
- Tell us about your sports & fitness background.: I played soccer, basketball and baseball growing up. Gave that up around 16 and when I started UNC I was introduced to racquetball. Played that at a pretty high level for a number of years before falling away from it about 12 years ago. Just took it back up recently and am loving it so much. Played around in college with running… which is where I learned to hate running. Still hate running… even though i’ve done a number of races (up to about 7 miles) and am pretty good at it when I need to be. Lifted weights on/off again in traditional gym settings. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to ride my bicycle (my hybrid on trails and back roads and my mountain bike). Always loved hiking and seem to have always found time to do that wherever I am, local or out of state.
- How did you first get exposed to CrossFit?: I kept seeing CrossFit Durham every time I was downtown drinking beer (and getting fatter). When the time came to change things up, stop the slow decent into high blood pressure, high cholestrol and shaving years off my life I decided to go talk to Dave and see what my options were. I started w/ bootcamp at CrossFit Durham and stuck with it for 1.5 years until finally making the change over to “regular” CrossFit. When that time came I paid a visit to Bull City and within minutes was hooked. Jack was so great and everybody was so friendly that I knew this was the place to continue my journey.
- What sort of changes have you seen in your body?: Wow! I originally dropped 90+ pounds. Cholesterol and blood pressure went from danger zone levels to very very normal levels. I actually got a little too thin doing bootcamp. CF helped on that front. Put on about 30 pounds from my lightest weight… most of which I like to think was muscle. Refining my diet and such lately is leaning me out a bit while still allowing me to build strength.
- What impact has CrossFit had on your life?: I, honestly, think the whole CrossFit experience (starting with bootcamp) has literally saved my life. I was so big and so unhealthy it was a heart attack/stroke just waiting to happen. The community/family feel of Bull City CrossFit has had a very positive impact on me. I love all the folks at BCCF! So much positive
- What is your favorite Bull City CrossFit moment?: I really love the CrossFit Open team thing we’ve done this and last year. SO MUCH FUN!
- What is your advice for people getting started?: Try it. Give it a chance. Your body and your mind will scream and shout at you to quit but DON’T. Ride it out. It get’s better and easier while at the same time getting harder but in a really great way.
- What are your interests outside of CrossFit?: Motorcycling, bicycling, racquetball, hiking, cooking.