- Hometown: Chapel Hill
- Age: 41
- Occupation: Mathematician
- When did you first start CrossFitting?: January 2016
- What is your favorite movement? Favorite workout?: Snatch, deadlift, double unders. The workout Jackie was fun today.
- What is your least favorite movement/workout?: Wall balls, handstands
- Tell us about your sports & fitness background.: I wasn’t involved in any competitive sports in college or since. I had spent some years running, playing around with some rock climbing and kayaking, but it was nothing formal. Prior to joining BCCF, I had never put a barbell over my head.
- How did you first get exposed to CrossFit?: It was in the back of my mind for many years. I had done a fake free trial at another CF gym through a running group. But I didn’t know how to schedule it in with work and being a single dad. After a rough year personally and losing my mother to cancer, my fitness had decreased significantly. I needed a change and just went for it.
- What sort of changes have you seen in your body?: I am more energetic. I am, by far, the strongest that I have ever been. Changes in my shoulders, arms, and legs are also apparent.
- What impact has CrossFit had on your life?: It is a highlight of every day. Rest days and days that I cannot make it to BCCF make me anxious. The community of like minded people is empowering. And the coaching… just the best.
- What is your favorite Bull City CrossFit moment?: CF Open 16.5 — I signed up for the open after only a few (5 maybe) weeks of training. I failed to finish on my first attempt at 16.5 (scaled), which I believe was only the second time that I had done thrusters. Two days later, with some coaching and a lot of encouragement (from people for whom that scaled weight would have been nothing) and with my kids watching, I beat it. Even better, 6 months later when we redid it, I got to improve my time by twelve and a half minutes.
- What is your advice for people getting started?: Do it. Do the open. Write all the workouts down and take notes. Be willing to try anything the coaches recommend. Meet the wonderful people.
- What are your interests outside of CrossFit?: Cooking, kayaking, outdoors stuff, ping pong, water skiing when I get the chance, watching basketball